Converting to a new subscription management system can be overwhelming. In today’s post, we’ll walk you through our tested process. Find strategies to help you prepare for your implementation, along with a sample schedule below.
Preparing for a Data Conversion
Before making the switch to a new platform, publishers must complete a data conversion. There are two, key components to this next step. The first is to make decisions on how the system will be set-up. The second is to map the data.
Before beginning, it can be helpful to talk with your accounting department to understand their reporting requirements, work with your marketing department to identify key data elements that are necessary for proper analytics, and gather data from your fulfillment and processing teams to make sure you understand how to best provide them with the data and reports they need to effortlessly do their jobs.
After we receive a signed contract, we send new clients a welcome kit. In it, they will find the roadmap for the upcoming subscription management conversion. Materials will include:
- An implementation schedule.
- Our company’s contact numbers and policies.
- A materials checklist.
- The product setup worksheet.
- A general ledger (GL) account worksheet.
- Our users’ worksheet.
- A pre-installation questionnaire.
These documents and others are stored on each client’s dedicated website. We’ve found creating a site for each implementation improves communication and transparency. Our team configures each site in Sharepoint. There, we store all related documentation, the schedule, and a log of emails. This makes it easier for clients to find the information they need quickly and efficiently.
A Sample Subscription Management Conversion Schedule
While our implementation schedules are developed for each client’s unique needs, most include the same critical steps. Below, you’ll find an example of our standard process. But keep in mind, it can vary based a number of factors:
- Week 1:
- The contract is signed, and the deposit is sent to Multipub.
- We send our “Welcome Kit”
- The client sends their data file to Multipub, as soon as possible.
- Week 2:
- The instance is created on Amazon, and the Multipub Software and Database are installed.
- Week 3:
- A Multipub consultant collaborates with the client on their system’s set-up, tailoring it to their specific needs. This step includes consulting, either remotely or at the client’s office, to define the set-up, map the data conversion, and more.
- Week 4:
- During Week 4, we begin the data conversion programming.
- Week 8:
- The test data is loaded, and a Multipub representative provides basic training, covering important details, like customer service, order entry, labels, invoices, renewals, and fulfillment. This can be done via webinar or on site.
- Week 12:
- The client sends LIVE data to Multipub for conversion.
- Week 13:
- At this point, our team completes the live conversion. Any work completed on the old system during this timeframe must be imported or reentered into Multipub, after the system is live.
- Week 14:
- Go live!